17 September 2006

I could get used to this, maybe

One of the advantages of a stratified social system – at least for those in the higher strata – is that one is able to work more efficiently. I arrive at the NID Postgrad campus on the outskirts of Gandhinagar, and within a few minutes a man brings me a cup of steaming chai. The office where I will spend some time online (checking my emails and writing this) before meeting with the students has been cleaned and aired (they use strong disinfectants). I turn on the air conditioning, plug in my laptop and get to work. Around twelve people buzz about the campus, tending to the grounds, sweeping away debris from yesterday's storm, bringing water and tea to the teachers, opening up and airing the lecture rooms. The technicians are in the computer pool checking net connections, installing software, dusting off the keyboards (everything here is covered in dust), wiping down the screens, keeping everything in running order. In spite of occasional chaos and disorder, most of it runs like a top. Everyone has his or her duties and just gets it done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home